WIRES Coalition hosts briefing on cost allocation
On March 9, 2010, the Environmental and Energy Study Institute (EESI) and WIRES (Working group for Investment in Reliable and Economic electric Systems) continued its education series on transmission with Electric Transmission 201.
The subject of this briefing was the contentious issue of who pays for new transmission (referred to as “cost allocation”). Speakers for this event included:
– James Hoecker, former Chairman, Federal Energy Regulatory Commission; Counsel to WIRES
– Delphine Hou, Associate, The Brattle Group
– Cynthia Bogorad, Counsel, Transmission Access Policy Group
– Chris Miller, Legislative Assistant, Office of Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV)
– Steve Kozey, General Counsel, Midwest ISO
– Craig Glazer, Manager of Regulatory Affairs, PJM Interconnection
– Jonna Hamilton, Legislative Assistant, Office of Senator Byron Dorgan (D-ND)
This briefing explored the basic concepts of cost allocation, why the issue is critical to the future of the grid, and what roles federal regulators and policy makers will play to ensure necessary grid development can occur.
Click here for full coverage of the event.